On 6/21/07, Alexander Presber <aljoscha / weisshuhn.de> wrote:

> There should be a reason Enumerable was introduced as opposed to
> include it's functionality in Array?
Alexander I agree with your POV, however maybe it would do this
discussion some good to take one step back and look at the greater
picture.

Enumerable is a Mixin based on each and it implements methods like
select, map etc by using the each interface of it's client class. It
very often returns arrays than as it simply cannot do something
different - without creating a revolutionary new concept like an
Iterator but that is OffTopic

You were complaining about Hash#select returning an Array. I complain
about that too but it has nothing to do with Enumerable, Enumerable is
not used, it is implemented in Hash itself.

If we want to discuss if we like or dislike Hash#select returning an
array we shall fear to mention Enumerable as it has nothing to do with
it.
As a matter of fact it would be ridiculous - you have explained that
nicely yourself - to ask Enumerable to return Hashes.

Cheers
Robert

--
You see things; and you say Why?