Axel Etzold wrote:
> This issue has already been discussed on this list:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/248527

Axel

Thanks, that got me to a solution. I found a related discussion at

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/78627#128289

I went with since it breaks the operation down into more understand
steps, and it works:

require 'fileutils'
include FileUtils
cp(old, new ) # copy(old,new) works too if you like me don't talk UNIX
rm (old) #  remove(old)

There seems to be some confusion about how Ruby handles moving (mv)
files. Moving files is supposed to work with rename, but apparently
breaks down when the new and old directories are not in the same
partition. But the cp and rm steps are clearer than renaming and moving
(copying and deleting) in one step which is what I'm trying to do. (In
other words, it's not obvious from the name that "rename" renames and
moves.