From: poopdeville / gmail.com [mailto:poopdeville / gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:20 AM
>Hi Everybody,
>
>I'm working on a data mining application, and MVC seems like the right
>approach.  However, I'm having trouble finding a good MVC framework
>outside of Rails.  I'm not particularly interested in running a web
>server to do data mining.
>
>Even if there isn't a suitable MVC framework, I'd like my models to be
>completely database agnostic.  Is there a library comparable to Perl's
>DBIx::Class?  I do NOT want to have to implement something like that.
>ActiveRecord seems like it might work for my needs, but I'm not sure
>if it's intimately tied to Rails.

I've never worked with DBIx::Class, but its documents says it's an ORM
(object-relational mapper). There are several options available for Ruby (in
fact, google "orm ruby" would show up the way). ActiveRecord plays good with
or without Rails, but sometimes may seem a bit overkill.

Personally I like Sequel[1], as a much lighter solution, though not as
well-documented and slightly buggy. For using ActiveRecord stand-alone,
you'll need AR itself[2] and ActiveSupport[3] libraries.

As for MVC framework, I suppose, the question would be in V (View) letter.
What "View engine" do you want to use? Web, GUI, TUI (text-based user
interface), command-line, or something abstract? The framework selection
should depend on this, though I can't recall any non-web MVC framework (I
has one concerned Windows GUI, but it's still far from release).

Hope this slightly helps.

V.

1: http://sequel.rubyforge.org/
2: http://rubyforge.org/projects/activerecord/