that's the correct synthax, working with me without problems:

for i in @news do
  if dern_cat != i.categorie then

   case i.categorie
    when bar :foo

If you still have problems post your whole code and the exact and whole
errormessage you are getting!

--
greets

                     one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to
give birth to a dancing star