On 6/18/07, Stephan Dale <ruby-forum / mindspill.net> wrote:
> Well I've found out why I can't generate core API docs using rdoc -
> because Ruby is installed as a .so library, hence there are no .rb or .c
> for rdoc to parse.
>
> I've downloaded the documentation from
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads/ but the ruby version is not exactly
> the same as the one I've got installed, which could obviously lead to
> problems in the future.
>
> Does anyone know whether there's any way I can generate html
> documentation from the ri docs or the .so libraries?

Download source package (either one for your distribution or the
"upstream" source tar from ruby-lang.org). Unpack anywhere (e.g. you
home dir, /usr/src, /tmp,...). From the top directory (where all the
.c and .h files are located) run rdoc -o output_path, or add more
arguments to finetune the output. When it's finished, you will have
the docs in output_path. The -o argument is important, because rdoc by
default creates directory "doc" but here the one is already created,
so you have to point rdoc to some other place.

J.