"Nathan Taylor-Hoover" <onebitcipher / gmail.com> writes:

> The problem with your code is that you are using two different encryption
> algorithims.

Not quite; see http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/enc.html - in brief:

 des-ede3-cbc       Three key triple DES EDE in CBC mode
 des-ede3           Three key triple DES EDE in ECB mode
 des3               Alias for des-ede3-cbc
 des-ede3-cfb       Three key triple DES EDE CFB mode
 des-ede3-ofb       Three key triple DES EDE in OFB mode

So the cipher being used should in theory work, but it clearly doesn't
at all.  I can't find any decent information relating what
Crypt:TripleDES does to an equivalent operation for openssl. (openssl
in ruby or otherwise) I also don't know that passing the key as the
argument to encrypt is the appropriate behavior.

Openssl has both keys and initial values, which are derived from
passphrases in a manner I don't understand.  Crypt::TripleDES uses
only a key, and I don't know how those two correspond to each other.