Hello Tom,

I'm not sure what this code should do when it's finished but I
rewrote the src, hope this helps:

# Initialize Logger
require 'logger'
root_logger = Logger.new 'root.log'
root_logger.level = Logger::INFO

# Setup at_exit hook
at_exit { root_logger.info 'done.' }

%w{ rubygems hpricot open-uri }.each { |lib| require lib }
URL_MASK = 'http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/%i'.freeze

tgroup = ThreadGroup.new

root_logger.info 'Parsing SecurityFocus...'
( 1 .. 3 ).each do |id|
   root_logger.info "  open #{ URL_MASK % id }"
   thread = Thread.new do
     begin
       Hpricot open( URL_MASK % id )
     rescue => error
       root_logger.error error.inspect
   tgroup.add thread
end

tgroup.list.each_with_index do |thread, index|
   if doc = thread.value
     File.open( "#{ index }.txt", 'w+' ) do |file|
       file << ( doc/'#vulnerability' ).inner_text

Sincerely
Florian

Am 15.06.2007 um 08:34 schrieb Tom Bombadil:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to have a logging function which either tells me that the
> text
> files have been created successfully or that provides me an error
> message
> should there have been a fatal error. In doing so I coded the
> following.
> Note, however, that a logfile is created but neither of the comments
> mentioned above are shown. Why?
>

> # loads the library modules into the Ruby program
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'hpricot'
> require 'open-uri'
> require 'logger'
>
> # create a log file
> def do_at_exit(message,exit_code,logger)
>  at_exit { logger.fatal(message) if exit_code == 1 }
>  Process.exit(exit_code)
This would exit the Process (your programm) immediatly after calling
do_at_exit...

> end
>
> logger = Logger.new('logfile.log')
>
> # logger formats: DEBUG < INFO < WARN < ERROR < FATAL < UNKNOWN
> logger.level = Logger::INFO
> do_at_exit("Text files successfully created.\n",1,logger) if
> Process.uid !=
> 0
>
> # creates array object and iterates over the collection passing
> elements one
> at a time to the "{ |e| ... }" block
> %w(rubygems hpricot open-uri).each { |e| require e }
You already requiered these (?)