Thanks Todd, I will try your code after commenting on your help and
questions :)

Well the motivation is a project at my university. On a larger scale the
project is about having a plan area that's in need of development: those
engineers need a program or application that let's you put in some data
in a gridstructure...like for instance a cells distance to a road when
this distance is small they are more likely to be assigned for placing a
house on. Are they further from the road cell maybe they are more likely
to be assigned as nature or something like that...

But my project isn't to work it out in all perfection. First I must
investigate how such a application could be made working. It's all in
the first stages and next to that it's for me useful to come in contact
with ruby. Also maybe when this system is generally working i will try
to get it in google sketchup which has ruby implemented. That way we
want to try to make the grid, with all the assigned functions to the
cells, visible by drawing it.
When this system is working good then it will be passed on to others and
they will most likely extend it further or maybe make improvements...so
the project for me is very free, to try and come up with something and
to get some experience in ruby..

So me and my tutor thought of making some grid like plan area. To have a
beginning point we add some roads by hand and all the remaining cells
then have at least one characteristic: distance to road. Some other
characteristics also need to be given for each cell. For now im not sure
if these will be put in by hand or some other way...

The calculations i was talking about are just calculating for each cell
the suitability for placing houses and this suitability depends on the
characteristics of each cell...

Sorry if im not totally clear, it's just the combination of too little
knowledge of the capabilities of ruby and my bad english ;-)

Thanks again Todd...maybe later today or tommorrow (when I have a
meeting with my tutor) I will try to explain it better...I also have a
explaining document of a comparable project but I think no one is really
interested to read it through (20 pages haha)