I never did find a decent tutorial on using SOAP in Ruby. However, I
did find bits and pieces in blogs and list archives. There's actually
quite a bit of information in the SOAP4r trac (the Ruby SOAP code *is*
SOAP4r):

http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r

The biggest "ah-hah" moment for me was figuring out that you don't
have generate a bunch of classes from WSDL in Ruby like in other
languages... you can, but Ruby is dynamic enough that you can just
create a driver instance from the WSDL and all the signatures in that
WSDL become available as method calls on the driver [1]. Similarly,
the SOAP response object is accessible as a nested hash of data or as
pseudo-method calls.

Hope this helps some!

Ben

[1] Here's how I created my driver:

soap_driver = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(RAILS_ROOT + '/config/
somewebservice.wsdl').create_rpc_driver

Then I can call every SOAP call listed in that wsdl just by calling
the name on the driver:

response = soap_driver.someWebService({ hash of params })