Meinrad Recheis wrote:
> On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
>> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
>> using those features with JRuby.
>>
>> - Charlie
>>

> Just curious: Have you already decided what technology to follow for
> Ruby 1.9 features. Will you implement the YARV VM or will you try to
> translate Ruby directly to Java bytecode?

We already have a compiler that compiles what code it can to Java
bytecode. That's helped performance substantially in a number of areas.
We also have a very early, primitive implementaiton of YARV's bytecode
engine. We're hoping that will provide a faster interpreted mode for
JRuby, avoiding the AST walking we're doing now.

- Charlie