> > Unfortunately for me, the archive I was extracting contained two
> > sibling files:
> >
> > 1) bin/fcsh.exe
> > 2) bin/fcsh
> >
> > One is obviously an executable and the other is an extension-free
> > shell script that points at it.
[...]
> > As it turns out, the problem isn't in the Zip library at all, but is
> > in the Windows version of Ruby File.exists?().
> >

> The problem is in Cygwin I believe.  If you enter touch test.exe into
> Cygwin and then enter ls -l test it will show the test.exe file.
> This behavior seems to be confined to Cygwin as I don't see the same
> behavior under AIX.

This is correct, and the details can be found here:

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html

(Scroll to the paragraph "The .exe extension").

This is one of the compromises we have to live when bringing
Unix flavour to Windoze....

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer / venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162