Hi you all I am new to this forum and also quite new to ruby...I have
some PHP knowledge but I'm definitely no pro in programming...

Now I have a project at school...I will try to explain it as short as
possible...

I need to generate a grid, let's say of 196 cells (grid of 14x14), I'm
now generating it with an array:

grid = [1, 2, ..., 195, 196]

1. first of all is there a way to somehow automatically generate an
array of following numbers or other characters because when I later on
plan to change the gridsize it would be nice if this can be filled
automatically...

2. The grid is then intended to be used for a land use project...first
of all I have to give particular cells the characteristics of
infrastructure, for instance all the cells on the right hand side (cell
14, 28, 42, 56 etc.) of the grid form a road from top to bottom...

3. when there are enough roads for a good infrastructure (to be judged
by myself) i need to fill the open areas with houses...each cell in
these areas should have some location characteristics like distance to
infrastructure...when a cell meets some demands it can then be located
as a suitable cell for building some type of house on it...

I see that this is a bit much too ask in one time and I'm not expecting
a totally worked out answer to all my questions but maybe someone can
help on the way and after that I can come back if I encounter
problems...

Thanks very much you all, hope you can help in any way!

Greets