On 11 Jun 2007, at 08:45, Peter Cooper wrote:
>> I'm also in two minds as to whether I should try to switch over
>> from OS
>> X permanently. I'm new to iMacs, and I have to say that OS X has a
>> nice
>> polish to it; but then Ubuntu, gotta love those repositories.
>
> OS X is great as the day to day desktop, though.. so a
> lot of people use both. You can use Parallels or VMWare Fusion (the
> latter
> currently being free and faster)

Not on my laptop it isn't ;)
The main advantages VMWare has right now are limited DirectX support
in Windows guests, and two virtual processors. Parallels 3.0 could
blow the former away (full DirectX and OpenGL support, although until
I play with it I'm not counting my chickens) and it happily uses both
cores of my Core Duo (at least, CPU usage has been known to greatly
exceed 100% when doing busy stuff). On the whole though I'd say they
both perform equivalently and are viable choices for anyone who wants
to run multiple OSs concurrently on their Mac :)

Ellie

Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the 'time'-
dependent asymmetries of phase space.