David Alan Black <dblack / candle.superlink.net> writes:

> Hello --
>
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "[ruby-talk:17217] Re: /* */ comments"
> >     on 01/07/04, Daniel <daniel / longbeach.goldinc.com> writes:
> >
> > |I never used =begin =end yet,  but someone pointed out that they have to
> > |be at the beginning of the line  *shrugs*
> >
> > =begin and =end are rather for documentation.  I don't recommend to
> > use them as multi line comments (e.g. to escape out chunk of code).
> > If you really need that kind of multi line comment, I'm really open
> > for discussion, or RCR.
>
>    # {
>        This might be one way
>        to do it, without looking
>        too C-like.
>      }

I don't mind looking like C, but creeping featurism is a problem to be
avoided.  I've never missed C-style comments in perl, even though I'm
fond of both languages.  That particular syntax looks too much like
the interpolation syntax anyway.

A decent text editor should provide a way to quickly comment out a
bunch of lines.  emacs, e.g., has language-specific modes or you can
use the "string-rectangle" function.

--
--Ed Cashin                     integrit file-verification system:
  ecashin / terry.uga.edu         http://integrit.sourceforge.net/