quoth the M. Edward (Ed) Borasky:

> And Gentoo Linux is a good compromise between FreeBSD's ports and
> Debian's repositories. Gentoo's Portage actually descended from ports.

Really? Like as in, Linux descended from Unix? Or in some direct fashion? I
always thought portage was an 'homage' to ports, so to speak.

<snip>

> But I will stick with Gentoo for Ruby. Except when the Gentoo devs don't
> get prodded from the Ruby community, a Ruby release shows up in Portage
> within a day or so. They have jRuby 1.0 RC1 the last time I synced,
> which was yesterday, for example. And they have more gems than Debian, I
> think.

The paludis devs are currently working on direct support for gems
repositories. Once this is complete we will have direct support for all gems,
without having to wait for them to become ebuilds (not that writing an ebuild
for a gem isn't trivial...)

Very cool...

-d