Albert> Just curious, what did you expect to happen?  What model do
Albert> you hold in your head concerning names and inheritance that is
Albert> violated by misnaming an object?

Educationnal purpose, not efficiency...

In fact, "my head" has some problem to justify that there is two
objects of different classes that can be assigned to each other (i'm
rather experienced with strong typing languages).

I was considering using Ruby to teach OOP concepts to students but i
don't know how i could justify this behaviour : the "class membership"
concept seems difficult to grasp because of dynamic typing of Ruby and
one of the main advantage of OOP is this concept (from my point of
vue). I admit my poor knowledge of the language but it's difficult to me
to admit that we can create a class tree and, then, forget it by just
assigning things to others.

Dynamic typing has a lot of advantages, but for educationnal issues,
it may hurt. Don't know the Eiffel language (it's the one the students
are currently using to learn OOP concepts), i thought i could use Ruby
instead, that's all... Seems it's not a good idea.
--
±Óic Jacoboni, nil y a 1296993161 secondes