Tony Smith <tony / smee.org> writes:

> Why not integrate a decent build tool like Jam
> (http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html) into Ruby directly so that
>
> (a) you don't need one of the myriad versions of make(1) on your machine to
> build an extension.
>
> (b) extension developers can just specify their extensions in terms of the
> libraries and source files involved and let Jam/Ruby take care of the build.
>
> (c) You don't need your makefile generator to dance around the differences in
> the make versions.

Why not?  One reason is simplicity.  Simplicity and consistency is one
of the reasons ruby is so cool.  Shoving jam or make functionality
into it would be a mistake.  (Or cdplay functionality for that
matter!)

Also, I use GNU make and autoconf heavily and like them.  Like most
UN*X developers, I have both of them installed and don't feel the need
for an alternative, jam specifically, which I don't have installed.

I am a ruby newbie too, and besides being blown away by how great a
language it is, I'm also impressed by the internal consistency and the
lack of apparent feature bloat.  Feature bloat is no fun.

--
--Ed Cashin                     integrit file-verification system:
  ecashin / terry.uga.edu         http://integrit.sourceforge.net/