On 6/8/07, Md.elme focruzzaman Shuvo <shuvo.razi / gmail.com> wrote:
> Jano Svitok wrote:
> > On 6/8/07, Md.elme focruzzaman Shuvo <shuvo.razi / gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can you please explain me the entire process of installing curb & why I
> >> need to nstall MSVC6.0.
> >
> > I don't know the precise installation process -- I haven't installed
> > it and I don't want to, and I don't have time to. ;-)
> >
> > However (these are more or less generic c extension requirements):
> >
> > 1. you need msvc 6.0 because curb contains c extension - to compile it
> > you need a c compiler, and that must be the same as ruby was compiled
> > with, therefore msvc 6. Unfortunately, it's hard to obtain it if you
> > don't have it already. You can also try mingw, it should be
> > compatible.
> >
> > 2. you need libcurl installed before you can compile curb (that is
> > what does the work in the background)
> > (http://my.guardpuppy.com/libcurl-7.15.1-msvc-win32-ssl-0.9.8a-zlib-1.2.3.zip)
> >
> > 3. then, find vsvars32.bat (in the program files/ms vs/something,
> > start cmd.exe, exexute vsvars32.bat and after that you are ready to
> > issue gem install curb.
> >
> > 4. I know this because the errors you posted complained about missing
> > tools and looking at the package.
> >

> > So as I said, if you are not familiar with C development, it's better
> > for you to either use unix, or choose another package
> > (scrubit/mechanize/etc). If you are at least a bit familiar, give it a
> > try...
>
> Thank You again Jano,
>
> One thins again. I already use php curl & libcurlNET. I am familier with
> C/C++ also.But never use libcurl in c/c++. So, do not know how can I
> install it. I try to put libcurl.dll on the System32 dir but the result
> is same.I do not want to built it again just want to use the
> libcurl.dll. Can you please help me? How can I install libcurl on my
> machine?

I suppose you have VC6 installed.

from the zip file I mentioned, you need: 1. header files, put them in
c:/program files/msvs/vc/inc/curl
2. libcurl.dll - put it somewhere on the path
3. libcurl_imp.lib - put it into msvs/vc.lib
maybe you'll need to rename it to curl.lib to match the gem config

After that, try again *from the vsvars environment* (I suppose you
should get another kind of message when you call gem from vc
environment.

J.