On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 01:55:23PM +0900, Ivan Salazar wrote:

> This one is a very common mistake when someone is new to functional
> languages specially when having some procedural language experience...
> Many methods in functional languages don't have side effects (don't

Thanks. In retrospect, this is somewhat obvious. But you're right: it
was my expectation that foo.succ was equivalent to foo+=1, rather than
simply being an expression that returned a value without modifying the
variable itself.

I appreciate all of the informative responses.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"