Mark wrote:
> I have built Ruby from source, installed gems & rails on a MacBook
> pro.  I installed the source for a working Rails application in a
> directory /rails_apps.  I cd to the application directory under rails
> apps and in the terminal I enter:
>
> script/server
>
> Terminal responds:
> : No such file or directory
>
> sudo script/server provides the same response
> ls -la script/server returns:
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 pogo  admin  98 Nov 13  2006 script/server
>
> I have all of 2 weeks experience on a Mac, which probably explains the
> basic problem.  Can someone advise?

What does your path look like? (in terminal: printenv PATH). The ./
directory is not in their by default, so you would have to type
something like ./script/server. To save yourself the trouble of having
to do that each time, just add ./ to your path in your shell's rc file:

In bash (and zsh, I believe):
export PATH=.:$PATH

In tcsh:
setenv PATH .:$PATH