Chris Finch wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wonder if you could some give some advice to a newbie?
> I am writing an application in ruby at work. I am wondering how do I
> make this available to everyone?
> Am I correct in thinking I have to install ruby on everyone's PC?
>
> All the PCs at work already have Java installed on them, is it possible
> to use JRuby to compile the program to bytecode? then I wouldn't have to
> install anything new on all the PCs. Is this a viable option?

JRuby doesn't yet compile all code to bytecode, but it doesn't really
matter. You can just package up everything in a single JAR file and
distribute that...no mucking about with different compiled versions of
Ruby, no rubyscript2exe for each target platform. A single file
containing a complete Ruby implementation and your code that will run on
any machine with Java.

Let me know if you'd like to hear more...

- Charlie