On 1 Jun 2007, at 10:14, Chad Perrin wrote:
[snip]
> Alas, I don't know quite enough about Perl 6 to be able to make a
> credible comparison, but yours sounds believable, so I'll go with
> that.
[snip]

I said something vaguely similar in my "Perl Eye for the Ruby Guy"
talk at YAPC::Eu last year and Larry didn't jump down my throat (not
that he would coz he's a nice person :-) so I think it's vaguely
sane. Not that I've had the time to keep up with the latest Perl 6
changes.

> In my mind, and based on what I know of it, the big win for Perl 6
> will
> be the fact that it actually does OOP well.  Don't misunderstand me:
> Perl is one of my favorite languages.  I just happen be willing to
> call
> a dog what it is when necessary, and Perl's OOP characteristics leave
> something to be desired (as of 5.x).  Judging by the sample code I've
> seen and the descriptions I've read, however, Perl 6 OOP looks like
> it's
> going to be a really interesting, well-designed bag of tricks, and I
> can't wait to learn it.

Yeah - the role/trait stuff does look nice. My poor brain can't copy
with the Synopsis docs at the moment though. I'm waiting for somebody
to write something a little more pedagogical.

> That won't stop me from using Ruby, though, any more than the fact I'm
> using Ruby has stopped me from using Perl 5.x.  In fact, I've decided
> to work on priority queue management scripts in Perl.  Meanwhile, the
> signature at the end of this email was chosen randomly by a script I
> wrote in Ruby.
>
> Why limit yourself to one language?

Indeed.

Unless it's Lisp :-)