On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 05:56:56PM +0900, Adrian Howard wrote:

> I'd say they're quite different. Perl 6 is Perl with the dials turned
> up to 11. Perl's TMTOWTDI is even more apparent - with the swiss army
> chainsaw picking up more from functional languages, AOP, etc.
>
> Ruby on the other hand does its best to be a small, elegant OOP
> language. Which  is a darn nice thing.

Alas, I don't know quite enough about Perl 6 to be able to make a
credible comparison, but yours sounds believable, so I'll go with that.

In my mind, and based on what I know of it, the big win for Perl 6 will
be the fact that it actually does OOP well.  Don't misunderstand me:
Perl is one of my favorite languages.  I just happen be willing to call
a dog what it is when necessary, and Perl's OOP characteristics leave
something to be desired (as of 5.x).  Judging by the sample code I've
seen and the descriptions I've read, however, Perl 6 OOP looks like it's
going to be a really interesting, well-designed bag of tricks, and I
can't wait to learn it.

That won't stop me from using Ruby, though, any more than the fact I'm
using Ruby has stopped me from using Perl 5.x.  In fact, I've decided
to work on priority queue management scripts in Perl.  Meanwhile, the
signature at the end of this email was chosen randomly by a script I
wrote in Ruby.

Why limit yourself to one language?

W. Somerset Maugham: "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for
wit."