Hello, everyone. I am sorry, I was a bit embarassed by the quantity of
text in this discussion and I may have read it not enough carefully to
firure out the answer, and it (discussion) itself seems to be a year
old, so I've decided to ask:

Finally, is there a convenient support for Unicode in Ruby? Or, if not,
when will it be?

I am going to develop an international website (with pages in some
european languages, including those using non-latin alphabets). I think
it should prove to be a good idea to make such a website totally in
Unicode (probably UTF-16), without using any legacy encodings at all.
The DBMS I am going to use is Oracle 10g (Express edition until it comes
to its limitations).

As well I would like to ask when the next Ruby release is planned to. If
it comes this year, I should probably try nightly builds as it seems to
be wise to start a new project targeting ea version of the next release.

Thanks in advance.