On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 11:30:30AM +0900, Michael W. Ryder wrote:

> While I realize the Ruby is not C, I think that some of the style
> guidelines for C should still apply in Ruby.  One of the ones that was
> very important was to make each statement do only one thing.  Your
> example of setting a temporary variable to an amount on one line and
> then testing that variable on the second line is much easier to read,
> and understand, quickly than your statements like 'return %$ unless f(n)
> == x'.  This becomes even more important when the test is even more
> convoluted such as checking for the position of a string in another
> string and returning if it is in a specific location.

I'm afraid I must disagree.  The only thing I find "unreadable" about
that is the complete lack of obvious association between %$ and the
source of the value it contains/labels.  The composition of the
expression itself, such that the condition test is on the same line as
the rest of the action, produces absolutely zero difficulty for me.

I get the impression that you don't like the predicate conditional form
at all, then, and would rather it was stricken from the language.  Yes?

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others
we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously."