[Henning von Rosen]
> I wrote a little convinience script, that (using 'net/http') is given
> a web-page, and downloads it and all its locally linked documents (for
> later studying). This works fine for text. But pictures (both .gif and
> .jpg) are messed up.
>
> I suppose the 'net/http' treats them as text in an unhealthu way. What do I
> need for fetching pics and writing them to disk?

It is not 'net/http' that is the problem, the problem occurs when you
write them to disk. You need to use File.new("wb") when you open the
file to make sure they are saved as *binary* files (on Windows
machines).

BTW, I have written a module that does exactly what you are trying to do

    http://www.acc.umu.se/~r2d2/programming/ruby/webfetcher/

// Niklas