On Sat, 26 May 2007, GinTon wrote:

> I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
> 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
> Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
> will have Perl and Python by default.
>
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
>
> Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
> for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
> Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
> foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
>
> http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-language/

I don't see how not including Ruby by default could be a problem (mind
you I haven't checked what "including by default" means - does it, as I
assume, that a distro to be LSB compliant needs to ship Perl/Python as
part of its base installation?). However I see how including Python and
Perl by default could be a problem: bloat. And if you add Ruby too: more
bloat.

I can't see what's so difficult about "apt-get install ruby", or whatever
that is in the other distros.
*t

   Tomas Pospisek
   http://sourcepole.com -  Linux & Open Source Solutions