Hakusa / gmail.com wrote:
> If a language stops you from doing something just because it's bad
> practice, then the language is treating you like an idiot.

Fine, so don't stop be. Warn me that I'm doing something which is
probably a programmer error 99% of the time. Ruby stops me from all
sorts of things I can do in Perl. I think that's a good thing, since I'm
a horrible Perl programmer :)

>What if I
> wanted to override a function for a little while? I could assign it a
> new value and use the same methods of a different class!

Then you'll just override it. My question is, why would you want to
override a method with a variable? I have no problem with overloading a
method with another method, and neither should the interpreter.