Nat Pryce wrote:

[...]
avoid the DOM API and instead provide a standard Ruby XML API
that is more convenient for querying, modifying and transforming XML
documents.
[...]

I agree. Only two questions:

> Factor in the fact that the DOM API does not
> support XPath queries,

Doesn't it?
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-XPath/

> or XSLT transformation rules,

How would that look, in pseudo code?
IMHO, XPath is nice to have in a tree API; but XSLT is a whole different
story. I like it to be separate and pure. XSLT files still can be used
from the same program that manipulates a tree.

Perhaps extraxt specific templates from the file, and call them with an
input tree from the tree parser? Interesting...

> In an XSLT transformation engine,
> that's a table-driven rule interpreter.  Etc. etc.

what does 'table-driven' mean here?

Tobi

--
Tobias Reif