> Look what you've written:
>
> puts( 'Hello'  + gets.chomp )
>
> That means it must ask the user for input before it can create the
> string to print.

Exactly! It's awesome! I don't have to make the input and the use of
the word separate. I still need a prompt, but I've cut the middle
step.

> > Although I have a feeling I'll rarely get to use this trick.
>
> I would suggest you look into a ruby tutorial or book such as
> Programming Ruby 2nd Ed. or Chris Pine's Learn to Program.

I'm sure it's a good book, but I'm a zero budget coder at the moment.
No job and only just graduated high school.

> STDOUT.sync = true

What is it anyway? Google's not getting me much good.