Daniel Berger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone written anything that will skip all the gem related code
> that occurs on startup when running a profiler over a program? Is it
> even possible?
>
> All that extra stuff in the final output makes it harder to read and
> generally bugs me.

An excerpt from the README of ruby-prof:

=== ruby-prof API

The second way is to use the ruby-prof API to profile
particular segments of code.

   require 'ruby-prof'

   # Profile the code
   RubyProf.start
   [code to profile]
   result = RubyProf.stop

   # Print a flat profile to text
   printer = RubyProf::TextPrinter.new(result)
   printer.print(STDOUT, 0)

Alternatively, you can use a block to tell ruby-prof what
to profile:

   require 'ruby-prof'

   # Profile the code
   result = RubyProf.profile do
     [code to profile]

   # Print a graph profile to text
   printer = RubyProf::GraphPrinter.new(result)
   printer.print(STDOUT, 0)

If for some reason you want to use profile.rb, it's easy to hack up to
have the same feature (let me know and I'll send it).