> I meant it would be nice if readline.dll for Windows were had
> its own default rc path, or cygwin and mswin-ruby would have
> different HOME pathes.  Instead, it seems to get the fallback
> path from the registry, "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Free
> Software Foundation\libreadline\inputrc-file".

As far I can see, both apply, but also both are not helpful here.
If readline.dll has/had its own default rc path, I think Ruby should
not make use of it either, because the user might already have
use *that* file for placing definitions for his/her own use of
readline.dll. :-(

Actually, what Ruby *really* wants to do is to add its own Readline
definition to those the user has already set up (if any), and as
far I can tell, the basic principle of readline does not foresee
this feature...

Kind regards,

Ronald