On May 17, 12:55 pm, "Nasir Khan" <rubylear... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies if this is not the right forum for this, but this surely has
> the right audience.
>
> I have been using a few projects on rubyforge / sourceforge (ruby
> projects) which are now unfortunately dead (no SVN activity for more
> than a year, no forum no tracker nothing).
> I have been been monkey patching some of them in my local repository
> and my attempts at contacting the project owners has failed.
> They have apparently lost interest and moved on.
>
> - I could continue to use them and monkey patch them as I go along
>
> - I could abandon them and use something else (with some pain)
>
> - I am willing to adopt at least one and maintain it, fixing bugs and
> enhancing.
>
> I wonder if the last one is even an option, and if yes then how.

As someone who has a couple of rubyforge projects that haven't had any
updates for over a year...

Probably the best thing to do is to email the maintainer and ask if
you can get commit access for the project.  They might even invite you
to completely take over the project if you want.

If you don't hear back from the project owner, then perhaps you could
contact someone at RubyForge and ask if you can adopt the project (I'm
not familiar with the mechanics, but it should be possible).

Phil