On May 16, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On 5/16/07, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
>> With symbols being as integer-like as they are string-like, though,
>> it's really equally similar to:
>>
>>    2 == :"2"
>>
> I don't think symbols are integer like.

This is the 'equivalence is defined by identity' idea again.  I think
this is what David means by 'integer-like'.  It is this property that
both fixnums and symbols share but that is *not* shared by strings.

Making '==' work with mixed operands of symbols and strings breaks that
idea and leads to the strange example that David gave (2 == :"2").

Gary Wright