Robert, I'm pretty new to Ruby so ignore my ignorance.... I have a
solution to my problem but wanted to understand more about why my
previous appraoch failed (for future reference), in particular, how do
I do a  simple string substitution of a newline character on Mac OS X,
nothing I've tried or that has been suggested has worked.

I'll certainly look at REXML, thanks for the help.