Rick DeNatale schrieb:
> Well, to be fair he actually does describe the VM as working on an
> AST.  VM is a general term which actually could be used to describe
> the Ruby 1.x implementation even if x < 9.  In fact doesn't YARV stand
> for Yet Another Ruby Vm?

But where's the "machine" in an AST walker? If the term should make any
sense the higher language code has to be compiled into an intermediary
language. The virtual machine instructions will then be executed on a
simulated processor like the P-Code machine
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-code_machine). If these compile and
execution steps don't happen, I would call the resulting program only a
Ruby interpreter - not a Ruby virtual machine.

I think that YARV was named YARV because there were other efforts to
create a Ruby VM besides Matz's RITE vapor ware, when ko1 started to
implement YARV. I remember him mentioning something like this in one of
his talks.

> At least rewriting them isn't as hard as writing them.

Maybe the author deliberately confused AST interpreters and VMs in order
to cut down on the transliteration work?