Florian Frank wrote:
> Rick DeNatale schrieb:
>> On 5/13/07, darren kirby <bulliver / badcomputer.org> wrote:
>>> quoth the Martin DeMello:

>>> He does include code in Ruby, though oddly, it is not presented
>>> inline, nor
>>> even linked inline:
>>>
>>> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/programs/index.html
>>
>> Not the best examples of ruby code though.
>>
>> For example this:
>> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/programs/pgm02_01.txt
>>
>> Would be done idiomatically in Ruby as
>>
>>   (1..n).inject {|sum, e| sum + e)
>>
>> And this
>> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/programs/pgm02_04.txt
>>
>> by just
>>
>>   a.max
>>
>> A random sampling of the code looks like it's mostly C-code
>> transliterated into Ruby.
> I have stumbled over this book some years ago and read a few pages to
> figure out if it was worth reading. I encountered a sentence that
> contained something like "ruby virtual machine creates an object".
> This was before Ruby 1.9. included YARV and when YARV didn't yet exist
> (or was in its early infancy like all the other VM implementations
> back then), and the author didn't mention which virtual machine he
> meant at all. I figured he didn't know that Ruby was an AST
> interpreter and just made shit up. I decided not to invest more time
> in reading the book, because if the author cannot be bothered to
> research some basic facts about Ruby and instead spreads untruth about
> it, what quality will the rest of the book have?
>
> Your transliteration theory reminded me of that, so I searched for
> "ruby virtual machine creates an object" on google:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Abrpreiss.com+%22ruby+virtual+machine+creates+an+object%22&btnG=Search
>

> Result was:
> "Garbage Collection and the Other Kind of Heap
> When the Ruby virtual machine creates an object, it performs the
> following steps:. An unused region of memory large enough to hold an
> instance of the ...
> www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/html/page414.html - 6k - Cached - Similar
> pages"
>
> Now, I changed "ruby" to "python":
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Abrpreiss.com+%22python+virtual+machine+creates+an+object%22&btnG=Search
>

> Result was:
> "Garbage Collection and the Other Kind of Heap
> When the Python virtual machine creates an object, it performs the
> following steps:. An unused region of memory large enough to hold an
> instance of the ...
> www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page415.html - 7k - Cached - Similar
> pages"
>
> What a surprise! Writing books doesn't seem to be so difficult after all.

I am totally underwhelmed by that book. The print versions are
horrendously expensive, given the elementary nature of the subject
matter. I'd definitely echo the sentiments of those who recommend
Sedgewick, and I'll also throw in a plug for "The Structure And
Interpretation of Computer Programs" and "The Little Schemer" should you
happen to want a Scheme foundation.