On 5/14/07, Florian Frank <flori / nixe.ping.de> wrote:
> Rick DeNatale schrieb:
.max

> > A random sampling of the code looks like it's mostly C-code
> > transliterated into Ruby.
> I have stumbled over this book some years ago and read a few pages to
> figure out if it was worth reading. I encountered a sentence that
> contained something like "ruby virtual machine creates an object". This
> was before Ruby 1.9. included YARV and when YARV didn't yet exist (or
> was in its early infancy like all the other VM implementations back
> then), and the author didn't mention which virtual machine he meant at
> all.

Well, to be fair he actually does describe the VM as working on an
AST.  VM is a general term which actually could be used to describe
the Ruby 1.x implementation even if x < 9.  In fact doesn't YARV stand
for Yet Another Ruby Vm?

> Your transliteration theory reminded me of that, so I searched for "ruby
> virtual machine creates an object" on google:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Abrpreiss.com+%22ruby+virtual+machine+creates+an+object%22&btnG=Search
>
> Result was:
> "Garbage Collection and the Other Kind of Heap
> When the Ruby virtual machine creates an object, it performs the
> following steps:. An unused region of memory large enough to hold an
> instance of the ...
> www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/html/page414.html - 6k - Cached - Similar
> pages"
>
> Now, I changed "ruby" to "python":
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Abrpreiss.com+%22python+virtual+machine+creates+an+object%22&btnG=Search
>
> Result was:
> "Garbage Collection and the Other Kind of Heap
> When the Python virtual machine creates an object, it performs the
> following steps:. An unused region of memory large enough to hold an
> instance of the ...
> www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page415.html - 7k - Cached - Similar
> pages"
>
> What a surprise! Writing books doesn't seem to be so difficult after all.

At least rewriting them isn't as hard as writing them.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/