I had that problem too. I don't quite remember how I fixed it, but I
think I found this page:

http://blog.labnotes.org/2005/11/06/setting-up-ruby-gems-on-cygwin/

He says that he experienced the problem, and he thinks it's because he
had both the one-click installer and cygwin (I have this same setup at
work -- both one-click installer and cygwin). He didn't dig too much
into it, though, he just installed rubygems manually. I think this is
what I did, too, but I'm not sure.

To install rubygems without a working rubygem setup:

- Follow the link on his blog to rubygems
- Download the latest tarball (.tar.gz)
- Unpack the tarball using cygwin or 7-zip
- Run "ruby setup.rb install" inside the directory

I think it's a pure ruby package (no C code) so you shouldn't need
anything extra to install it. Once you've installed it, you should
hopefully be able to use gems.

Ben

--
Ben Atkin