I am using two installation of Ruby 1.8.5 - one running natively under
Windows, and one
bundled with Cygwin.

The Cygwin installation does not come with gem, so after I had installed
gem 0.9.3 under
Windows, I installed it within my Cygwin environment.

Contrary to the installation under Windows, which issued an error
message, but left me
with a supposedly working "gem" (I have described this problem in a
separate thread),
the Cygwin installation of gem worked without errors, but the usage of
the package
does not seem to work:

$ gem install net-ssh
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    Could not find net-ssh (> 0) in any repository

So I wonder whether gem is intended to work at all under Cygwin. Anyone
already tried this?

BTW, here is my Cygwin gem environment:

$ gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.9.3 (0.9.3)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer / venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162