Hello --

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, James Britt (rubydev) wrote:

> > > 1. Any XML parser should conform 100% with the XML rec:
> > >   well-formedness, encodings, Unicode, etc.
> > >   The OASIS test suite seems to be a good way to test this.
> > >   This is very important, so that the Ruby XML tools can play with
> > >   other XML tools (which is what XML mainly is about).
> >
> > It is also important that DTDs are handled correctly. DTDs are not just for
> > validation, for example, they define default values, certain types (e.g.
> > ID), and parsed entities (there is something about this in the XML 1.0
> > spec). These are all necessary even without validation.
>
> Validation is part of the XML 1.0 spec.  A Ruby parser would need to
> be able to provide validation at the request of the user.

Actually non-validating parsers are provided for in the spec.  (If
they weren't, we'd all still be using SGML :-)  They have to check for
well-formedness, of course.

See section 5.1, "Validating and Non-Validating Parsers", at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-conformance

David

--
David Alan Black