In message <d01526d7035b2827ab3f7d3f6a058241 / ruby-forum.com>, Concours writes:
>1) Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in Open
>Source)
>2) Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic Programmers)

>I believe book #2 is referred to as the "pickaxe" in the Rails
>community?

No.  The "pickaxe" is the book with a pickaxe on the cover, titled
"Programming Ruby".

>Have I made a good choice on materials, or are there some
>other books I should be looking into?

I took Programming Ruby out to lunch twice, wrote a couple of test programs,
and that was enough to get me started.

>As a brief background, I've been developing websites and web
>applications for the past 8 years (primarily in the ASP environment).  I
>have a good grasp on OO programming, but haven???t really gotten any one
>particular language under my belt.

Might as well start here as anywhere.  I am very fond of the Pickaxe, and
recommend it as a good example of what a programming book should be like.

-s