Pit - you are DA MAN!!!   WOO-HOO!!!   Success with just the few things
you pointed out did the trick!!  I am one very happy geek!!
WOO-HOO!!!!

Pit Capitain wrote:
> first, in case you don't know, you don't have to terminate statements
> with ";".

Yes, I know.  It's a habit.  I write in so many languages where it is
either optional or required, I simply choose to use it all the time.
Sometimes, I don't know my fingers even added it.

Pit Capitain wrote:
>Second, it's better to fill $ebcdic_chars and $ascii_chars
> once at the beginning of your program and not every time the method
> #doit is called.

Absolutely.  This was chopped up from my much larger program.  And even
then, #doit is only called once.  My plan is to take these tables out of
global variables and make them constants in another Module.

So, are you somewhere were I could buy you a cold beverage?  It would be
my pleasure!

Todd  (Katy, Texas)