Hiho,

While I don't want to make it a habit of announcing minor revisions, I've
got enough people emailing me about a couple of bugs that 1.1a3 fixes that
I'm going to go ahead and post something about it.  I had to update the RAA
entry because I also moved the archives around.

Version 1.0b is the stable version, although it has known bugs. Version
1.1a is the current version, although it too has known bugs. Version 1.1a3
is the development version, and I'm sure it has bugs as well.  1.1a3 is
considered "development" primarily because of the new XPath implementation;
it passes the unit tests, but it needs more testing.

Version 1.1a3 changes a number of things, some of which are structural:

1) REXML hasn't been handling entities in parsed documents very well.  This
has been fixed, but I'm wondering if REXML's behavior is confusing.  REXML
inherited Electric XML's behavior of converting &, <, and > to entities on
write.  This is convenient, but it may be confusing for users to know when
they have to quote their own entities, and when to leave them alone.  1.1a3
fixes this to a certain extent; REXML ignores entities in text, but it
still converts &, <, and >.  It also reverse-converts &amp;, &lt;, and &gt;
back to characters on a read.  &#xxx; entities are now correctly handled.
I'm accepting opinions about this matter.  I'd like entity handling to be
fairly painless, but I don't want ambiguous behavior if I can avoid it.

2) 1.1a3 has the new XPath implementation.

3) Prior versions of REXML would hang if unquoted '<' were encountered in
the source document.  This has been fixed, and an error is now generated.

4) Error reporting has been improved.  Although it could certianly use some
more work, REXML now attempts to report the line in the source at which an
error is encountered.

5) The directory structure has changed, in an attempt to clean up the top
level directory.  suite.rb has been broken up into a core test suite and an
XPath test suite.  suite.rb still remains, and is still the program to run;
however, it has some additional arguments to support running specific
tests.  It is very short now, so read the source if you want to know how to
use it.

6) The distribution archive is in a different location, and now has a
version.  In addition, multiple versions are available from the REXML home
page.  Distributions will also now be available in both .tgz and .zip
format.

Oh, and the API page is fixed; the documentation was linking to an old API
entry point.  The new API index page is much more sexy (thanks to GraphR).

Don't hesitate to send me your comments.  Thanks folks!

--
--- SER