On Wed, 9 May 2007, Stephen Touset wrote:

> On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:40:54 +0900, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:

>>> Yes. And, for debian, that's a whole slew of files in a "debian/"
>>> directory, plus a self-executing Makefile called "debian/rules". It's
>>> kind of a PITA, actually. :)
>>
>> Uhm - as far as I know you only need like - two - of them: debian/control
>> and debian/rules. The others are optional in various degrees (such as
>> debian/copyright is reasonable if you want to distribute the package,
>> isn't it?)
>
> Right. Unfortunately, to do lots of things programmatically, you need
> plenty more than that in conjunction with debhelper.
>
>  debian/changelog => changelog
>  debian/compat    => debhelper compatibility version
>  debian/config    => debconf configuration
>  debian/control   => package information
>  debian/copyright => copyright information
>  debian/dirs      => directories that should be created on the target
>  debian/docs      => location of documentation
>  debian/files     => files to be installed in the target
>  debian/rules     => build script
>
> Plus a few others, depending on whether or not a few options are used.

Take those easy. debhelper has some 61 helper programms of which most are
configurable or use arguments *only*. So it's also your choice which way
to go and also *if* to use those at all. Neither of those, except for
debian/control and debian/rules are mandatory. Actually you can even make
a package without debian/rules, it will be installable if you build it
right however Debian itself will not accept it since it will not be
autobuildable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
*t

   Tomas Pospisek
   http://sourcepole.com -  Linux & Open Source Solutions