On Wed, 9 May 2007, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On May 8, 2007, at 1:53 PM, khaines / enigo.com wrote:

> I know the DBI has been handed off at least once.  My understanding was also
> that the current maintainers aren't too interested in resurrecting it.  I
> agree that it works, but I'm not so sure not abandonware.  I know there are
> some very old bugs in it still not fixed, though they are minor issues.

I am one of those maintainers.  My attitude, at this point, with that
codebase, is basically one of hand-off maintenance unless a major problem
rears its head.

> Sequel is looking like a pretty promising library to replace the DBI, but it
> doesn't yet support Oracle:
>
> http://sequel.rubyforge.org/

Sequel looks quite promising, but it's also not really in the same niche
as DBI.  It's more of an ORM variation.  It has some really neat ideas in
it, though.

I've believed, for a couple years, that we need a DBI2.  Something that
isn't so directly modeled on the Perl DBI, but is, instead, more rubyesque
in it's API design, and something that learns from DBI and fixes some of
DBI's faults without overachieving -- lean, fast, simple, with a clean
Ruby API.

I've discussed this with some other people, off and on, and decided a
couple months ago that this would be a good project to start on here at
the beginning of the summer.  I have a couple things ahead of it in my
queue still, but consider this a prerelease announcement.  :)

So if anyone has any specific suggestions or requests to voice regarding a
fast, clean DBI replacement, now would be a good time.

Kirk Haines