Sean Russell wrote:

> I could provide a solution in REXML by providing a Element.start_tag() and
> Element.end_tag() methods, but I'm hesitant to complicate the API if this
> is a single-use (or extremely rare) need.

I wouldn't include them. For example, AFAICS:
REXML is building a tree from an XML doc, then one can manipulate the
tree, and finally, REXMLs' writer serializes the tree back to XML.

The concept of start and end tags separately doesn't fit in here. An
element node can be output either as empty tag, or as start and end tag,
  especuially if it contains sth.

IMHO, the tree manipulation is for the programmer, and deals with nodes,
including element nodes, but not with tags.
Then the serializer just does its' job, perhaps with options for pretty
printing.

Tobi

--
Tobias Reif