On May 7, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Lloyd Linklater wrote:

> Pat Maddox wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/07, arjun ghosh <arjun4ruby / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks pat for the quick help...can u point me to a directions
>>> where i can
>>> learn these things...a book or pdf..it is embarrassing to ask
>>> these simple
>>> stuff from u guys...though thanks again
>>> -ciao
>>> AG
>>
>> Ruby for Rails is probably the best Ruby book out there, in my
>> opinion.
>
> While I agree with the extreme grooviness of Ruby for Rails,
> nevertheless it makes no reference to either camelize or
> constantize.  I
> also checked in Programming Ruby and found nothing.  Where does one go
> to find these wonderful calls if they are not in the books?

Well, these are calls from ActiveSupport which is one of the pieces
that make up Rails.  You wouldn't find anything in Programming Ruby
because this isn't core Ruby.  Now there have been some bits and
pieces that work their way into core (like Symbol#to_proc), but
generally the ActiveSupport stuff is likely to stay in its gem.

It's too bad that Ruby for Rails doesn't touch on this (I had to go
look at the index to see if there was a page reference that I could
give you, but no).

-Rob

http://rdoc.caboo.se/doc/classes/ActiveSupport/CoreExtensions/String/
Inflections.html