On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:20:04PM +0900, Stephen Touset wrote:
> > RPM is what I'm more familiar with. It has a 'spec' file which directs the
> > build. But it has sensible default macros for:
> > - untar source into a work directory
> > - apply patch(es)
> > - configure
> > - make
> > - make install
> >
> > You can override any of these, but the defaults work in the majority of
> > cases.
>
> I was going to try and tackle writing an RPM backend sometime the next
> month, but would have to first learn the entire RPM building process. If
> you'd like to write a Pallet::RPM class to generate and build a spec file,
> I'd be more than happy to accept it.
>
> Automatically downloading from remote sources, if done at all, would
> probably come after I start supporting more package formats and write some
> Pallet::Gem2(Deb|RPM|foo) classes to wrap Gems inside of OS-native packages.

OK, so I'm not entirely clear how Pallet works then.

Does it generate "how to" build rules for the native packaging system - e.g.
spec files for RPM, whatever the equivalent is for Debian (control.tar.gz)?
And then you use the native packaging system to actually create the package?

Or does it configure, build and install the package itself, and then only
instruct the native packaging system to assemble those files into the
finished package?

Regards,

Brian.