Ok, I am making progress!

It now raises a sheet! horay! however, I can only make it work when the
pannel that I raise as a sheet is held within the same NIB that defines
that main window. With the following code:

 ib_outlets :mainWindow, :prefsWindow

  # (IBAction)
  def openPrefsSheet(sender)

    NSApp.beginSheet_modalForWindow_modalDelegate_didEndSelector_contextInfo(@prefsWindow,
@mainWindow, nil, nil, nil)
  NSApp.runModalForWindow(@prefsWindow)

  NSApp.endSheet(@prefsWindow)
    @prefsWindow.orderOut(self)
  end

  # (IBAction)
  def closePrefsSheet(sender)
    NSApp.stopModal
  end

The outlets were then linked up in IB correctly. This all works hunky
dory :) However, I would prefer it if the sheets that I load were in
external NIB files to keep things nice and tidy.

Given that when I am using a single NIB I could hook up the sheets using
IB but presumably when using external NIBs i will need to replace this
hooking up in IB with somthing more programatic?

Thanks

Tim